Saturday, September 11, 2010

Back to...Blogging!

Hi Everyone! I hope everyone had a fantastic summer and that it's coming to a nice close. It's been FOREVER since I've posted anything....and I'm so sorry! Our summer has been busy, but unfortunately not with home projects. I know we left you hanging on the guest bedroom re-do, so this post is going to be 100% devoted to that :).

Now, if you don't remember what this drab, not-fit-for-any-guest, guest room looked like before, let me remind you:


Pretty boring, huh? We agreed, and since my niece was coming to stay with us for a few days, what better time to give it a face lift?

Before I get to the grand finale, do you remember the sideboard that I found at a yard sale earlier in the summer for a whopping $10? I blogged about it in this post. Anywho, I thought it would look good in our extremely furniture-less formal living room, but turns out the guest bedroom had a perfect spot for it! As usually, I pulled out my trusty paint brush and my Behr paint and away I went transforming this little gem.

Here is what is looked like pre-makeover:



Gregory was my sander man and had to make a few minor repairs, but the good thing about painting furniture is that you don't have to worry about things being perfect! The paint fills in or covers all the imperfections and I think, gives it more character.
We gave it two coats of paint and wha-la! The finished product:

I think it turned out super, duper cute. I found some vintage knobs at a yard sale and some at Hobby Lobby (love their knob section) and together they completed the look!
Ok! Now to the room! Drum roll please..........brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................
Remember the hints I gave in the guest room teaser post? Let me remind you :)...
Did you guess what that was? Well, if you guessed vintage earrings turned curtain hanger embellishments, then you're right! I didn't want the same old curtain rod and curtains and I figured that they wouldn't be opened and closed much, if at all, so I decided stationary curtains were the best. And that gave me some flexibility in how to hang 'em.
So, again I headed to Hobby Lobby to see what kind of hooks they had and dug around in my vintage "stuff" box and found 2 sets of vintage earrings that were dying to be re-purposed and poof! Instant curtain hangers! I simply attached the hooks on the wall, found some large headed nails and hot glued the earrings onto the nail (after hanging the curtains so I wouldn't pop them off). It looks adorable!
Here are some better views of the project...

Finally, the details.
We painted the walls a green sage color. I don't know the exact name because I found a huge 5 gallon bucket that had about 3 gallons in it at a yard sale for $2 bucks! Can you believe it? I couldn't either, but I jumped on it. I mean even if I only used a small portion, it was $2 bucks! You can't even find the mistinted paint for that price :). But I ended up using more than a "small portion" and it transformed this room into a tranquil retreat.

I accessorized it with some vintage and new items and tried to keep it simple (not only is this our guest room, but it doubles as my dressing room, so I can' t have all kinds of excess junk laying around :)).


I added a couple of Country Living (my favorite mag) issues and I completed a relaxing getaway!

I'm sure I'll continue to "tweak" it, but overall I'm pleased with the end result. Gotta love finishing a project!
I'm off for now my fellow bloggers, but stay tuned. I promise not to keep you waiting as long next time :). See ya!
P.S. Congrats to the Gamecocks on their win against 'dem Bulldogs :)! Go Cocks!

1 comment:

  1. you have the greatest ideas Ebonn! Hope yall are doing well. We still love our house lots!

    ReplyDelete