Sunday, June 27, 2010

Projects, projects and more projects...

Hello! How was your weekend? It was a project filled weekend at the Hixson home and I hope you were able to get some things finished around you house.

Our weekend started off by hanging out with some friends to watch game 1 of the Carolina/Clemson college world series baseball finals. It turned out great when we won, but we had 1 more to win against them before we could head to the championship.



We woke up Saturday morning and headed out junkin'. We were extremely unsuccessful, so unfortunately I don't have much to report from that end other than some plates, a butter dish, a throw and some USC glasses. Other than that, it was a bust.

Saturday afternoon we started our projects and they took up the rest of our weekend. The projects were as follows.

Project #1: The $10.00 sideboard and bamboo tables.

Remember the sideboard and super cute bamboo nesting tables I found a few Saturdays ago and talked about in this post? Well, we have decided it's time they find a resting place in our home. Gregory took the sideboard project and ran with it. He removed all of the peeling veneer, sanded down all the rough areas, and replaced any weak wood to make it more sturdy. Now it's up to me to make it even more beautiful ;). Again, I'm thinking my trusty Cotton Knit paint is gonna look great on it. Where will it go once it's completed you ask? There are 2 options: 1. It can replace our idea of building a sofa table and be used as such in our den OR 2. It is going to make it's way into our newly made over guest room. Either way, it's going to be BEE-U-TI-FUL. (No pics yet)

As for the bamboo tables, they too are going to receive a paint job. I was going to keep them the original brass because I thought they resembled the Chivari chairs that I love so much, but unfortunately, once I cleaned them up, they just looked like ugly brass tables. And that is NOT the look I want to achieve. These are some befores to help you understand.



Once I wiped them down they were ready for primer and paint. My color of choice? White. Nothing looks better than crisp white and I think they are going to look great wherever they go.

Project #2: Alternative frame uses. I'm always working on decor for the house and in my travels, I like to pick up things that I feel need a little tweaking.


So! On our junk hunt Saturday morning I picked up a couple of things that needed some tlc... 1. a couple of old plates and a platter and 2. two sale items at Hobby Lobby.

First thing I put together was the frame and platter. I needed some wall decor for our dining room and this was a great idea, so I hang the frame and platter on the wall and it was insta-picture :)



I still need more in that room, but this is a great start.


Secondly, I found a cute little canvas sign and branch frame that also needed a little tlc. Both were in the clearance department at Hobby Lobby (gotta love the clearance section) and were screaming at my as I walked by.


When I got home, it was out with the glue gun and hammer and to work I went! All I did was remove the little picture hanger from the back of the canvas sign, hammered the frame back together (since it was coming apart in the corners) and hot glued the sign to the glass of the frame!


Wha-la! A cute little framed sign for my den bookshelf.


Project #3: The guest room.


Our guest room has needed some attention from day one, but to be honest, there were just other things that were more important. But, now that my niece is coming to stay with us a few days next week, we thought it would be a great excuse to work on it. (Hence why we can't decide where the newly painted sideboard is headed.)


Anywhoo, we aren't finished yet, but here are some befores and a sneak peek...






The walls were painted a creamy yellow and the whole room was just missing that warmth and welcome feeling. So I've painted the walls and I'm working on the decor. Our goal is to finish it all by the end of the week.

So the teaser? Can you guess what this is??? You'll have to stay tuned to find out :).




That's all for tonight. Remember we have lots of projects in the bucket so keep coming back! Hopefully, we'll get these things finished by the end of summer... To recap, here are some of our outstanding projects:


  • Sideboard - to be painted and the location is TBD

  • Bamboo Nesting Tables - to be painted and probably going in the guest room

  • DIY Sofa Table - should the sideboard not work out as one

  • Back Porch Columns - well it's just to hot to work on those

  • The Guest Bedroom - the goal is to be finished by the end of this week

  • The Guest/My Bathroom - on the hunt for vanity and other fabulous finds before we start on that adventure

  • Gregory's Bathroom - also on the hunt for fabulous finds to decorate the wall

I think that's all on our list; you can see that there is lots to finish before the end of the summer. So, keep us on track! Sometimes we get distracted.

Oh and BTW, does anyone watch Design Star? Not a fan of Nina...she has got a serious attitude problem...but I digress. Happy Sunday everyone and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment