Monday, June 7, 2010

Rubba dub, dub!

Yes, you read right, the reference above has something to do with a bathroom renovation. Well, actually one renovation and one makeover. I know! We are officially insane, but I will preface this post with saying, our ideas or merely that. We have no immediate plans to start tearing down tile and ripping out our tub to find squirrel nests! (I don't think I posted that picture when we remodeled our old bathroom, so feast your eyes on our discovery...)



Yep, folks. That's exactly what you think it is...a squirrel tail and nest. Underneath our tub in our old house bathroom. I always heard Templeton (that's what I named him) under my bottom while taking a bath, but I never dreamed he was THAT close! It was an incredible nest! And certainly a scary find. It looked like the squirrel had eaten his own kind!

I know what y'all are saying..."They must be insane for thinking of another bath remodel." And to that I will answer, "yes." I will agree we have lost our minds, but I sure do love the thought of new, fresh bathroom!

So, to further confirm our insanity...let's talk bathrooms!

We have 2 1/2 baths in our house. Gregory uses the pepto pink bathroom in our master and I occupy the pea green guest bathroom in the hall. Both of which are far from being sexy but mine is in some serious need of a renovation.


I mean look at that floor! You could play checkers on it! Anyway, to continue our convo... The pea green, not so awesome bathroom has the following issues:
  • The obvious, pea green tile over 75% of the room (that was inaccurately matched by the previous owner, so the blue-green tiles that they bought do not at all match the pea-green tile that is currently there)

  • A peeling bathtub (that was reglazed by the previous homeowner to save money - not recommended)

  • Rusty old bath fixtures

  • An updated light fixture with some 1960's wallpaper stuck around it

  • And finally some kind of terrifying caulking, tub/tile separating thing going on...

These my friends are not the kinds of things you want when you are a bath connoisseur like me (well I'm not really a connoisseur, but I sure love my baths).

So, here is the idea for the not-so-soon reno.

  • A whirlpool tub (for soaking, drinking red wine and indulging in a good book.)

  • Subway tile tub surround

  • New flooring (I'd love Hardwood, but not sure I can convince the hubby of that.)

  • A old piece of furniture for the vanity

  • Some antique sconces to replace the solitary fixture over the mirror and possibly an antique chandelier

  • And last but not least (and certainly the icing on the cake) a small flat panel TV for me to catch up on my latest episodes of Grey's Anatomy (or Private Practice or Mercy or Castle or, well you get the point. I watch A LOT of shows).

But, like I said before, this is a "back burner project." We have decided that we can't do the "hey honey, what have you been doing while I was out shopping?" "Oh, just ripped out the ______." conversations anymore. We need to have a serious plan. And the bathroom plan is going to begin with the old piece of furniture we find to use as a vanity and a good deal on a whirpool tub. Once those bad boys are purchased, it's game on.

So, be on the lookout for a great deal on a vanity/dresser. I know I'll be on the hunt :).

I will say I LOVE this bathroom that Sarah Richardson re-did in her country cottage...

In other news. Since you all know we can't keep our little bums still and we have the bathroom redo itch, our next plan of attack on the house is going to be in the 1/2 bath. This little jewel is the perfect size for a weekend warrior project and we plan to do just that in the next few months. Our inspiration photo comes from County Living and I knew as soon as I saw it, that was exactly what I wanted to do in our bath.

{ Source}

Our powder room (as they are usually called) is set up the EXACT same way and I can't wait to get to work.

Well, that's all for now. I hope I've inspired you to start a new project. I'd love to see pictures if you have 'em! Good night everyone and I'll post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment